Tuesday 19 April 2011

Came home from work tonight and Jenson Button had parked in my drive

Phil: I'm sure there's a perfectly innocent explanation for Button's 'pit stop strategy' to which my co-blogger has alluded. After all, it's not long since last season, when he was world champion, and got the first pit box. Christian Horner joked that Button was obviously very keen to drive for Red Bull. Sebastian Vettel joked that he might drop into McLaren next time out in Turkey and borrow some of Jenson's tyres. Er....stick to being world champions, guys.

My co-blogger has as usual done a sterling job of summarising what was actually a complex and tricky race. I've little to add, except for: wasn't it the dog's bollocks? We haven't had a race that good for ages. I mean, last year was good, but the interest for me came from the five way fight for the title, which ebbed and flowed all season until the very last race. I seriously don't remember a race as good as this last year, when any one of four, five, maybe six drivers could actually have won it (there were a couple of laps, after the first set of stops, when I seriously thought Rosberg would win it).

Here's an interesting thing. DRS was introduced to give us more overtaking. Some (my co-blogger and I included, I think) say it's artificial - Jake Humphreys compared it to American wrestling. We had plenty of overtaking at Shanghai, and both Hamilton and Webber put in aggressive, overtaking drives that probably would have been easily the drive of the season, were it not for the other's. (Webber fought his way from 18th on the grid to 3rd in the race, and Hamilton won having made it to the grid with little more than 30 seconds to spare after a fuel leak in the garage). But, and it's a big but, neither of them used DRS very much to overtake. They almost didn't need to. The thing that made the difference at both Shanghai and Sepang - more so even than Hamilton's and Webber's masterful performances - is tyres. As someone said after the race, 'thank you Pirelli!'. With Pirelli's disintegrating masterpieces all round, every race is a wet race. To win races in 2011, you need to manage your tyre strategy to have the right tyres in the right condition at the right moment in the race, and then use your advantage to pass the opposition.

I think we have another classic season to relish.

No comments:

Post a Comment