Wednesday 2 March 2011

Stat Attack Time!

Justin: My Colleague's blog about the top ten drivers of all time got me thinking. We haven't had our stat attack session as mentioned a few blogs ago. Onto that shortly.

I think my co-blogger will know that everyone will have a difference of opinion over who the 10 best drivers in the history of F1 are. As I texted to him when I read his blog, Mansell is in the top 5 all time most wins chart with 31 first places, so judging by that alone he is deserving of a place in the all time top 10. I'd probably keep him in there personally based on the fact that I grew up on Mansell Mania and his driving inspired me. The balls out overtaking around the outside of Piquet, the wheel to wheel dices with Senna. The fact that his 31 wins were all registered (barring his last) in the era of Prost and Senna. Then again, I'm basing part of my answer here on my emotions for the man....not like me that, to get all emotional about F1!

We both agreed that Gilles Villeneuve should be in there, or would at least be in ours as he was possibly the most naturally gifted guy ever to grace a circuit surely.

It's all open to debate I guess. Based on wins alone, Niki Lauda is top ten material, but I'd put others in his place such as Graham Hill, for example.

The only top ten certainties are (surely?) Senna, Prost, Fangio, Ascari, Stewart, Clark.......would Moss make it in there given he never won a title? Or would Shumacher make it in there given his comeback smearing his legend?

By my co-bloggers DVD are we saying that nobody in the current F1 lineup is good enough to be rated in the top ten of all time? Based on wins alone, Alonso is top ten material and he'd certainly be in my list I reckon.

Anyway, just wanted some good ol fashioned F1 debate.....

Stat time....

I'm probably being lazy....but here is the link to all the driver stats you will ever need!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_driver_records#Total_wins

No comments:

Post a Comment