Thursday 19 August 2010

Four whole weeks with no F1

Phil: So naturally I've been miserable as sin. I've been whiling away the hours reading Murray Walker's autobiography, Unless I'm Very Much Mistaken, which is excellent. Until the early 80s Murray managed to juggle his BBC commentating career at the weekends with a succesful advertising career during the week - in addition to a motorbike racing career in his youth, and commanding a tank in World War 2. He seems to have crammed several lives into one.

Anyway, the race, or lack of one. I'd forgotten all about Hakkinen's move on Schumacher - watching it again, it's startlingly simple yet effective. It reminds me a little of Mansell's move on Senna, using (I think) Stefan Johansson as a rolling roadblock, wherever that was. But that's not actually my favourite.

I usually sneer at people who watch F1 (or motor racing in general) 'for the crashes', but I'm going to make an exception and indulge myself for the opening lap at Spa in 1998. And what a bloody mess of slithery wet tarmac and chunks of carbon fibre it was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e287pHZNUcs.

Hopefully next weekend won't be half as messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment