Thursday 14 June 2018

Round 7: Canadian Grand Prix live retrospective blog

Justin:

Ok I realise calling this a live retrospective is a slight contradiction, but stay with me.

I've just returned from a week-long trip to Montreal for the Canadian Grand Prix.

The race wasn't a corker by any means, but it was an amazing experience for sure. Plus, whilst the race was a bit dull, being there live means you see things you wouldn't see up close on a TV. I was stood at the fence in front of grandstand 12 for a while, and the way the cars fly into the corner, hurl themselves at you before darting immediately right is a sight to behold. They also sound beautiful, sounding like fighter jets as they brake from the start/ finish straight.

I'm not a Ferrari fan, but that car under Seb looked amazing. It looked the most driveable car of the lot in that section. And...the engine. My word. The engine sounded like poetry in motion!!!

Grandstand 12

As you can see from the photo below, I couldn't have picked many better places to see the action from (though, you pay £250 for a 3 day ticket, you possibly might expect more than a metal bench to perch on..). We would have witnessed all the first corner mayhem, if any had happened. Still, we saw Mad Max try and take Bottas on the first lap, plus a couple of other spins through the race.






40th anniversary - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

It was the 40th anniversary of the first race on this circuit, which was won by the legendary Gilles Villeneuve. So, we were in for a treat. Jacques driving his Dad's Ferrari 312 around the track!!! Now, I have seen video of Jacques absolutely punishing this car around a test track (can't recall what video exactly), but even a parade lap where he was toddling along sent shivers down my spine and made a special weekend even more so. The sound of the engine....I just cannot. :-).


Excited!!!

Now, I'm a chap who gets excited when attending Grand Prix weekends. Part of the build up for me is simply spotting F1 people on the flight over to wherever the race is. My mates and I spotted DC at Brussels airport in 2012. I was reading Damon Hill's book when I spotted him in the waiting area for my Singapore flight in 2016. This year I saw none other than both Tom Clarkson and Andrew Benson on the flight and Jenny Gow in the passport queue. How fantastic is that eh?! Me spotting F1 people I look up to is all part of it for me.

The last time I'll see Fernando Alonso at an F1 race in person?

It could be. I'd rather it wasn't, but it could be. I won't be seeing another race in person until next year now, when he might be in Indycar or the World Endurance Championship full time (and only in that). Who knows?

I'll just leave a photo and video from Canada here.




Vettel - 50 up!!

Whilst I said the race was dull above, it actually wasn't. It was a pleasure witnessing a driver at the peak of his powers utterly dominating the track and his peers. Vettel looked completely on it for every lap of the race. The car danced to his tune. The Ferrari looking amazing and sounding amazing all weekend.

I'll sign off with a couple more pictures :-).






No comments:

Post a Comment