Saturday 13 March 2021

Murray Walker - Thank you for a lifetime of F1 moments and memories

Murray Walker has sadly passed away at the age of 97.

As my esteemed former blogging colleague commented, it's a hugely sad day, but I think we can all agree he lived the fullest of lives.

He was the soundtrack to my F1 youth and life, much like many more millions the world over. He taught me about F1 as much as anyone else. His commentary had me on the edge of my seat more often than not. His voice of drama, despair, elation and pure emotion was just simply beautiful.

My earliest memory of Murray involved getting up at an ungodly hour in 1986 to watch Red 5 Nigel Mansell go for the world title, only to see his hopes ruined by naff tyres. And Murray yelling "And look at that!" - which surely would have woken me up had I nodded off :-). Take a look and listen here...

Everyone loved Murray, and rightly so. From everything I've read from those that had met him and knew him, he was one of the loveliest people in F1.

Another Murray and Mansell moment, where Murray asks Nigel about the bump on his head, then promptly pokes said bump, is absolutely classic. I just watched it again and burst out laughing. Watch it here.

I'm crushed that he has gone. But he gave so many F1 fans (and beyond) massive moments and memories that we will treasure forever.

And my fave quote of his? There are so many, but it is one my esteemed colleague and I use to this very day "IF is F1 spelled backwards!"

The BBC article about Murray here has beautiful tributes from Damon Hill, Jackie Stewart, Martin Brundle and more.

Thanks for the memories Murray :-).

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment