Monday 30 May 2011

Best Monaco GP ...ever....or since 92?

Justin: I still think it was probably the best Monaco GP ever, or the best I've seen. The only downside is that the safety car 8 laps from the end robbed us all of what was sure to have been a dramatic finale. Instead we got the front 3 running on new tyres, having changed during the red flag period, and as such they finished in the same order. Bit of an anti-climax....which is why it doesnt stand up to Mansell Vs Senna in 92.....but they were only going at it for 5/6 laps, where as Vettel, Alonso and Button were line a stern for what, 10/15 laps?

Clearly I cannot decide which race is better....I enjoyed the 3 champions going at it, covered by a second for all those laps, yet I feel robbed of a proper ending. Alonso would have put a move on Vettel, he said as much afterwards as he had little to lose.

Does it really matter if I cannot decide which race was better? Probably not.

A nod to my co-blogger for joining me for the annual "I Was Having A Blog" live event. I think we can safely say the weekend was a success, though I'm not sure about having him knocking on the toilet door to update me when people pit.

Lewis Hamilton's post race remarks no doubt overshadowed the race result itself. I won't let him do that here...but my co-blogger and I watched in utter disbelief as Lewis proceeded to blame anyone but himself for his piss poor overtaking during the race, calling other drivers stupid idiots as well as doing a rather poorly timed "joke" about how he thought the fia were racist. Clearly not showing his best side here. Every bodged overtake Lewis tried was all his fault frankly...we clearly saw each of them.

Elsewhere Schumi started 5th and dropped off straight away pretty much, enduring another miserable weekend.

Petrov had an odd accident which looked rather slow speed to say the least. Apparently he had problems moving his legs and pain in his foot so he thought it best to let others take him out of the car rather than get out himself.

Webber again had a somewhat mixed day. He admitted afterwards that for whatever reasons he just cannot go very long on the first stint with Pirelli tyres. The big difference between he and Vettel it would seem.

Even Alonso now has said the title is pretty much Vettel's as he has now taken 5 of the first 6 race wins. Every time this has been done in the past, 4 times (?), that same person has won the world title.

Lewis is still Vettel's nearest challenger, some 53 points adrift of the German driver.

Another "what if" moment.....Mclaren's engineers had calculated that within 3 laps Vette's tyres would have "dropped off the cliff". Can't help but wonder how he would have kept Alonso and Button behind...

Onto Montreal we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment